The airline had told us we only needed to be at the airport 1/2 hour before the flight, which we really didn't believe, so we planned to arrive 1 1/2 hours early, just so we wouldn't be nervous or stressed. God forbid our missing the flight and not being able to use our Frequent Flyer 1st class seats! Unfortunately, my navigation skills were really awful. We needed to return the car, so I dug out the paperwork. I did not see the correct return address which was in microscopic print, and went by the address in large print at the top of the form. We arrived at the destination, and we immediately knew it was wrong! It took us about 20-30 minutes out of the way! ( can't blame the GPS for that one ) That on top of the road construction ( which we factored in ) and the fact that when we finally arrived at the proper rental car office the shuttle bus was at the airport and we had to wait for it to return. We had become VERY nervous. We had stopped along the way to fill up the gas tank but when we turned the car in they checked the gas level and told us we had to go to a gas station and fill 'er up. Norman was quite upset knowing we were running late. He went to the station and added all of 1 gallon!!! Norman never said an unkind word (but that could have been because I was doing a wonderful job cursing myself!). We arrived with more than enough time to spare, and started the trip with an hour flight up to Auckland in the North Island.
From there, the comfort level of this travel day took a sudden turn for the better. The first class lounge at Quantas was unbelievable! A buffet was set up and maintained, they had an open bar, internet, showers if you wanted, and terrific service! I loved it! We had $40.00 NZ left over, and I took it upon myself to rid ourselves of it. Tough job, but I was up for the task! I went down to the terminal and bought a bread board that was made from a 45,000 year old New Zealand Kauri Tree. Very different. We will hate to cut into it. Job accomplished. ( plus a little more, of course- that's always the way. ) Eating, drinking, shopping -what a way to spend a 4 hour layover! I hated to leave!
From there, we boarded our fantastic plane, and was once again given PJ's, a travel kit, champagne, pillow, etc. Such a tough life. Norman read for a while, and I watched a " chick flick".
After our terrific meal, we slept. The flight was unusally bumpy the entire way across the Pacific. Norman slept like a baby, and I was nearly tossed off the bed. We arrived in Los Angelos about 13 hours later at 11:30 AM. They had to drag me off. Boy, I love to be pampered.
We got our luggage, went through customs, and re-checked the bags. We went up to the lounge hoping it would be as nice as Auckland's but it wasn't even close. All they offered was coffee, tea, or water. Our bodies were feeling the time change, and we were hungry. We proceeded to use the internet and amuse ourselves. Norman considered a shower. Once again, I wasn't working on all cylinders. I thought we had a 4 hour layover and had plenty of time to get a little something to eat. Norman asked how much time we had left before boarding, and oh my gosh! They were going to board in 10 minutes! Oops! I had been watching the board, and looking at the time ( I kept my watch on New Zealand time thinking it would help me understand my body ), but it just wasn't registering. Norman saved us again!
The next flight seemed to be very long, and we arrived home at 1:30AM. Long day, but I love airports and planes. ( maybe that is why I worked at Continental Airlines? )
My lovely neighbor, Susan, turned up the heat in the house, and turned on the outside lights so the re-entry to the "real world" was less traumatic. Relaxed a little, then enjoyed our own bed. Home at last.