Saturday, February 21, 2009

Emergency Clinic - Day 9






Don't land your ribcage on this!





Well, had a terrible night. Everytime I took a breath I thought I would die. As I lay there, reality was sinking in. All the hard-core activities I have been training for, conditioning for, had just gone to pot. I was so depressed. Norman was wonderful - he has such a great outlook on life. "it is what it is" is his life's motto. I apologized profusly for ruining his vacation, but he insisted it was OK.

Anyway, today we were able to try out the National Health Care System! I know we wanted to experience all we could here, but there are some things we would rather not know!

The doctor was very casual, used only his first name, and didn't really want to talk medicine, only about hiking. He took a very quick look at me and thought I probably cracked a few ribs.
His next breath was "and forget golf for the next month". How did he know we have 12 courses planned? Did I have a sign "kick me" on my butt? I decided not to have the X-rays when he said it would not change the course of treatment anyway, so why get the extra dose of radiation?

Gave me a perscription for pain meds, and sent us on our way. The motel manager drove us to the doctor's and the pharmacy. He was so very nice.

The rest of the day I layed in bed while Norman did about 6 loads of wash, and waited on me hand and foot. ( Got the pampering, after all ). It was really pouring out, so it was a good day to stay in a bigger environment and watch chick flicks. Felt a little bit better with all the meds and we went out to a fabulous Thai restuarant. By the end of the meal I was really in a bad way and was dying to get back.

Another vacation day spent.