Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day 33



Sorry it's been awhile since we posted, but working wireless internet sites have been a real problem! Hope someone is reading these!

Forgot to mention that Queenstown has been suffering from the coldest March temperatures in HISTORY! Lucky us. We started this trip sweating our fannies off, now we are freezing our somewhat larger fannies off! I guess that is what can happen when you are lucky enough to have a very long vacation! It was really nice to get out of the camper and into a place with a little fire going, but now it is time to leave.

Today we are heading about 1 ½ hours in the opposite direction to drive to Glenorchy. We heard this was a very scenic drive, and oh, boy were they right! It was so gorgeous, I was practically weeping! The sky was the most amazing shade of blue, and the water just as unbelievable! Too hard to describe, but perhaps a few photos will help!

We had lunch in the nice, warm sunshine and I browsed in a nearby shop that sold lamb and possum (the dreaded, but beautiful vermin that is destroying the habitat of several endangered species). I almost bought possum nipple warmers for The Village Christmas party swap, but was afraid of an all-out war with everyone wanting them. Would not be pretty.

We drove back the way we came with my frantic picture snapping, back through Queenstown and on to the bike shop where we will have a bike ride though a portion of the Otago Rail Trail. I tried a couple of bikes to see which model might bother my ribs the least, and opted for the old-lady upright “comfort” model. I can only bring lots of pain killers and hope for the best.

We arrived at a nearby campsite, picked a nice, quiet spot and after we set up the grill and site, four cars show up filled with kids, teenagers, and boom-boxes. Thank God they were apparently just readying for Saturday festivities, and not Friday night. They left, and all was quiet. We cooked dinner on the grill, and spent a quiet evening, what was left of it.