Friday, March 6, 2009

Ferry Crossing - Day 22





Today I am feeling that this vacation is going to start over. A new lease for Alison. I feel so much better after the Reike, and am thinking I can do more than predicted. Hooray!

It was a glorious day! It could not possibly have been better. The wild seas of the day before were very calm, turquoise, and the sky very blue. The 3 hour ferry ride was lovely. We stood outside and took pictures and talked to many interesting travelers, and went inside for a while to enjoy the ever present cappuccino’s (available in snack bars, gas stations, supermarkets, etc). We are so amazed that coffee is their apparent life support. No matter where we go, coffee and biscuits are served 24/7.


We disembarked and headed to the Marlbourough Region - the world’s leading producers of Sauvignon Blanc’s and much to our surprise, some terrific Merlot’s and Cabernet Sauvignon. Norman availed himself of the many wine tasting opportunities but was very judicious in what he was sampling. I was a bit more cautious, and saved my drinking for dinner.

We had previously made reservations at Herzog Wineries Restaurant which I was told by another hiking couple was the finest restaurant they had ever been to. We agree. A very special night. Five course meal with paired wines. Incredible. We previously arranged to spend the night a couple of hundred yards down the road in their field. We are finding that is quite acceptable at the finer restaurants. I personally had never had so much wine and the next day suffered for a while. But it was worth it.