
Trestle bridge and interesting road underpass.
We woke up absolutely freezing! It was about 50 degrees, very overcast, and a brisk, cold wind. It felt much colder in the unheated camper when you pry yourself out of your snuggly bed. We quickly got ready and headed for the bike shop. The fellow was pretty insistent that we should only wear shorts and a light windbreaker, and sunscreen. We both were very happy we at least brought a warm windbreaker. I was glad I brought my ear-muffs.We followed the guy who we rented the bikes from for about a half hour out of town where we left the camper, and then drove on to the spot where we would start the ride. This area encompassed some of the highlights - a couple of bridges, two tunnels, and some nice scenery. (Unfortunately due to the low clouds we could not see much distant scenery). We were sooooo cold! The wind was so biting, and we felt like idiots not wearing pants! (and gloves). The ride was downhill for about 15 miles, and was quite boring. The most interesting were the tunnels which were so dark that you could not see your hand in front of your face. I have become a little “ sissy girl “ and was quite afraid I would fall. (a year ago I was fearless – amazing what breaking your face and ribs can do to your courage level). Although I must say, the tour groups were only allowed to walk through the tunnels.
We passed many groups of people (riding uphill, the fools ) who were riding the length of the railway which was about 95 miles long going inn-to-inn. Hardy souls.
We arrived back at the bike shop and proceeded to drive toward Milford Sound. We stopped awhile and watched crazy people bungy jump at the very place bungy jumping originated.