Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Waipo Beach to the ER - Day 16




During the night my body was really hurting me. I moved a couple of times, and felt my ribs really snap and move. Went I exhaled, I could feel them rubbing and it was freaking me out. We decided to get to a major city and have someone actually examine me. I didn’t want to do anything that would jeopardize my future health. I decided not to take any painkillers today so when they examined me I would know exactly where I hurt.

We left with the hitchhiker about 9AM, and headed south. Luck was still with us, and the day was sunny. Could get used to this. We were really thankful since this route was about 5 hours longer than through the center of the island, and good weather was essential.

We saw sandstone cliffs and sweeping bays, cows, sheep, and very interesting vegetation. We came across a couple of herds of sheep coming down the middle of the road. No wonder it takes us so long to get to where we are going!

Jeff, the hitchhiker, got out at a small town to do some hiking, and we stopped at little village and had lunch. We came upon the longest pier in NZ. It’s nearly a half mile walkway and was badly deteriorating, but offered a nice view. I was suffering so much with my ribs, I could not make it the entire way. I felt like such a loser. Norman went on and took some pictures.

Shortly after this the road became quite boring. More hills and cows, but we were thrilled to finally arrive in Gisborn and went immediately to the local hospital. We were told we would have a 3-4 hour wait, so we decided to get to the campsite, do laundry, and come back after supper.

When I returned I waited about an hour and saw the doctor. I was a little uncomfortable giving them my credit card info not knowing the amount, but hey – I was almost delirious with the pain. ( maybe that’s their plan )

Had the Xrays, and the doctor determined that I had definitely broken two ribs, and really thought three but could not be absolutely sure. One in the sternum, under the arm pit, and in the back below the shoulder blade. She explained that the ribcage is like a ring, and often the entire "ring" gets broken. Clean breaks, that was why I am feeling them rub together and snap with each breath. Damn! I was told it would take 6 weeks to heal. The first two would be hell, then I should feel better. Golf would DEFINITELY be out. I was glad I went because she stressed the need for taking big, painful breaths, and to keep the painkillers going so I would stand straight to keep from really messing up my body. Left the hospital 2 hours later. At least, now I know.