Sunday, March 29, 2009

Off to Dunedin - Day 38- Mar 18th

















We left our campsite in Owaka, and headed to Dunedin. We came across yet another fence with literally hundreds of shoes hanging on it. The story is, that the owner of the property found a pair of sneakers one day, and hung them out so the owner of the sneakers could find them. Well, the owner never came, but everyone else came to hang their own sneakers on this fence. Hence the colorful sight. Note, this is the fourth sighting of such a fence in New Zealand, so we wonder about the real story. I think that no one really likes to wear shoes, so they just add them to the fence and pretend they are lost!

We then came to what they call “Tunnel Beach“. We proceeded down the steepest hill trail I have ever been on! Crazy. There was a high school group ahead of us, and we were able to eavesdrop and learn a few things about the amazing geology of the area!
Norman, I believe, has a cave fetish! This man can not pass a cave without crawling into it. He claims to be claustrophobic, so I don’t get it!

We then drove into the town of Dunedin, checked into a campsite that was very busy and crowded, but did a ton of laundry in their great washers/dryers.

Had Elephant Fish for dinner that was pretty tasty, then hit the sack.