Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Norm's Zorbing Experience




Strapping me in! Here we go!





What is zorbing? Think of a giant beach ball, with you inside of it, being hurled down a hill. Why, you say? Just because. When they've done every other lame brained adventure you could imagine, they dare to try something else. Zorbing has been exported to other parts of the world, but it started right here, at this spot. They invented the technology; not quite ready for a public offering yet.

There are two ways of going down hill. One way is to be strapped inside and you rotate with the ball. The other way is to be unstrapped, alone, or with up to three other people, and they add several gallons of water (with soap suds if you want). With this option, you tend to stay on the bottom of the zorb because you are being swished around by the water – more of a side to side motion as you go down the hill. I opted for the dry full rotation effect. After about 3 rotations, my stomach was alternating between my ankles and my ears and I was satisfied that I had done the experience. The only problem was that I was less than half way down the hill. After reaching the bottom of the hill, I bounced against a fence and started to turn back in the opposite direction until coming to stop; after a few seconds, my stomach also stopped. Thank God.

I’m not big into amusement rides, so I probably wouldn’t do this again. Why did I do it in the first place, you ask? Just because. And so, the adventures continue.